Clichés and D&D

18 days and counting until NaNoWriMo kicks off!

Today, I'm talking about clichés. A cliché is defined as an idea that has been used so many times that the power it originally had is gone.

Clichés are a massive worry for a lot of writers, and one of the things that might get in your way when you're trying to plot something up for NaNo this year. A lot of websites try and tell you all these ways to avoid clichés, or how to phase them out of your story.

It's a little strange, but I, personally, don't think going out of your way to avoid clichés is a good idea. I can give you the reason in two short little lessons right here:

LESSON ONE: Everything is a cliché. Yes, as far as I'm concerned, EVERYTHING is a cliché, or takes off from a cliché. You can't avoid it. Even if it seems new and original, someone, somewhere, can find something it is apparently derivative of. The secret is to accept it and embrace it, and know that you can give these clichés back their inspirational power. Someone is always going to be able to go, "Oh, so it's like so-and-so meets random-thing, right?" Don't let it get to you.

LESSON TWO: Build strong characters with interesting motivations and goals. Make them people who have something to both learn and lose. If you do that, the plot can be cliché all to hell and back and your readers will still love it because they are invested in the characters.

This isn't to say that you need to actively make your story cliche as possible. Twist them around, get us out of the expected rut. Half the problem with "cliché" plots is that the readers can guess the ending from almost the beginning.

I would suggest going to friends and family and outlining the first, oh, half the plot to them, and see if they can figure out where you plan to go with it. If they can, you might want to ask how they figured it out. Their answer might bring a lot of new ideas to mind on how to make your story more original and less cliché.

Here are a couple of websites that may help you think of new ways to twist a plot, or help you find things to avoid in your plot:

Not so Grand List of Fantasy Clichés: Yes, I know I posted this in my first post, but it's still a good link.
51 Over-Used Adverbs, Nouns, and Clichés in Writing
List of Science Fiction Clichés : Warning: This place has a pretty snarky intro that is almost downright abusive towards people using clichés. Don't let it discourage you.
TVTropes : Warning: This place devours souls and hours of your life. Browse with extreme caution.


Onward to Katz!

Well, Katz and I went to play D&D recently. I'm not sure why I took him with me, but it might be because I was afraid of what kind of trouble he'd get into without supervision.

He was intrigued by the idea of the game.


Katz: I want to be a dinosaur!
Me: What.


Katz: You know, extinct, huge teeth, eats cavemen, a dinosaur!
Me: Cavemen and dinosaurs were never around at the same time, Katz.
Katz: ...LIES! The Flintstones never have led me wrong!

He was, thankfully, distracted by a new arrival, giving me time to recover from my stupidity-induced aneurysm.



Katz: HOLY CRAP, YOU'RE HUGE! HUG TIEMS!


Katz: I SWEAR I DIDN'T DO IT. He just exploded apart the instant I touched him! It was like he was full of plasma grenades on a touch sensor!



Katz: Is that why I'm so small? Is it so I don't EXPLODE FROM MY OWN AWESOME?
Me: No. Just...no.

I was distracted by the game for a few moments, but I eventually turned back to find, well...



Katz: What? This is proper procedure!
Me: Stop teabagging the corpse, Katz.
Katz: Fine. Well, this does give me an opportunity to finally take a look at his face. Bastard took joy in the rest of us never knowing what he looked like.
Me: You are so full of lies.


Katz: Alas, poor John, I...
Me: STOP RIGHT THERE, MISTER. DON'T YOU DARE MAKE THAT JOKE. I WILL STOMP YOU IF YOU DO.

Katz:....
ME: What?
Katz: AAAARRRGGGGHE'SAROBOT!
Me: Did you pull his face off?
Katz: Maybe. BUT THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT HE'S AN EXPLODING ROBOT!


Me: Just...leave his head alone, alright?


Me: AND THE GUN.
Katz: Awwww....
Me: Sit down so we can play the damn game.


Me: I DIDN'T MEAN SIT ON THE BODY, KATZ.
Katz: He's a dead robot. I'm sure he won't mind. Now hand me that pencil.

I couldn't argue that logic.


Katz: Ooh. I want cake. Can I be a dinosaur and cake at the same time? Cake-rex!


I shot him for the in-joke reference and the other blog reference. He deserved it.

BONUS:
This was about on par for his rolls that night:


Katz: WHOOO! I'm number one!

Annoying as he is, I didn't have the heart to tell him what it really meant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradise Fiber Club Box - June: Enchanted Forest

Magic, and the Orders of the Exodus Covenant

The Largesse Box: Part One