Paradise Fiber Club Box - July: Merfolk

I've got to admit, I did something sort of funny this month. I received and opened this box on the 6th, got all my pictures uploaded and ready for my unboxing post...and then promptly didn't write the post for a week. The opposite of my normal problem and all that.

On a side note, I looked at the hint for this month and ended up doing some graffiti on the box before I got to prying this baby open.


Do you like my catfish?


Ahh, that freshly opened box feel. I'm jamming on the color of the packaging this month for sure.


This month's newsletter, with info on how to obtain a sequined yarn (not my thing, honestly, but cute) and some background on the very unique fiber included in this box.



Delicious fiber box menu!

That lovely paper! Teals are some of my favorite colors, and aquamarine is CLOSE ENOUGH that I do adore it. And inside that lovely wrapping is some hella shiny stuff, oh my.


First up, this little linen baggy.


Inside is this month's feature fiber: 3 oz of Mermaid, a multicolor and textural combed top, consisting of 65% Merino, 5% Angelina Glitz, 5% Viscose Tweed and 25% silk (mulberry, tussah and recycled sari). It is... a bit dull toned, but also colorful?, and I tried really hard to capture the sparkle of the Angelina. As a fiber, it's muted and lovely - the muted colors remind me of looking down at something sitting on a lakebed through the water.

However, I do have concerns about what it would look like spun up. I worry with all those colors without a striking base, the end result would end up kinda...greyish and disappointing? Except for the nibby chunks of sari silk, maybe? I'm not sure, and I might sit on this one until I can see what other folks did with it on the Paradise Fiber's Ravelry forum.

If I end up keeping it for me, I'd probably haul it over to the blending board and pair it with a bold solid for spinning, which would hopefully help with my "color bleh" worries.


Next up is this rainbow, hologram coral print bag (I love the bag, seriously) full of the one of the coolest plant-based fibers I've gotten in one of these boxes. It has 3 oz undyed Seacell fiber, a trippy fiber made from the pulp of freaking SEAWEED.

SEAWEED.

I love how many plants can be used to make fiber! This is a nice clean white, and has a texture that I personally feel is similar to bamboo, or maybe the rose fiber that I've gotten from Paradise Fibers in the past. In short, I like it and rubbed my face in it like a weirdo.


Now, we're on to this month's goody bag, contained within a iridescent plastic baggy. Inside, we have a 150 yard spool of sequined string with a matching threader; the idea seems to be to incorporate the sequins into the fiber after taking them off the string. Regardless, these sequins are blue as heck and pretty; I will find a purpose for them.

Also in the bag are a Mewemaind acrylic charm place marker (which I love and is currently living on my corkboard with my keychain collection), a holographic vinyl themed sheep sticker - the Mewemaid! The first Ewenice logo sticker in several months, too! And finally a piece cotton candy salt water taffy - mind sadly was poorly wrapped and had gone nasty what with getting stickiness everywhere, so it ended up getting tossed. I assume it got a little melty in transit.

No great loss, I sort of am meh about taffy anymore.


I liked this box! The stars for me are definitely the Seacell fiber and the Mewemaids, but the rest was nice. I just have my concerns about the Mermaid fiber - I simply can't see it spinning up as pretty as it looks as raw roving, but again, I think I'm going to see what other folks come up with before getting too squirrely about it.

If you want to sign up for the Paradise Fibers fiber box, you can do so by going here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradise Fiber Club Box - June: Enchanted Forest

The Largesse Box: Part One

Magic, and the Orders of the Exodus Covenant