A Brief Detour Into the Rose City Yarn Crawl 2020

SO it's yarn crawl time, baby. I'm literally just gonna show off my loot from the 2020 Rose City Yarn Crawl. We'll go in loot acquisition order and everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store One: Fiber Rhythm Craft and Design (3/5/20)
Loot: 4oz of Malabrigo Nube roving in Piedras and 3 d20 buttons

Comments: We went on Thursday to this one, because in all honesty this might be the store I hate getting to the most, and it's usually the one I buy the least at. HOWEVER there was the Plumb Deluxe pop up going this night, and my roommate is a tea addict. So yeah she was the big spender at this location - I think she actually signed up with their tea of the month club, which, like, good on you, you shameless fucking addict. <3

I usually stock up on my d20 buttons and get nothing else, but I have a problem, and that problem is named Malabrigo. I just fell in love with this particular bundle of roving and said "Ah, fuck it." It's better than the other thing I was looking at - they had the 16" Ashford table loom, and I stood there for a while, considering it. But in the end, I still want the 20" so I RESISTED.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Two: Pearl Fiber Arts (3/6/20)
Loot: From Pearl Fiber arts, a One of a Kind Ceramic cat pin for the momma

From Powells: two cute bags made from recycled materials, and six anthologies to feed my love of owning a shitton of anthologies.


Comments: So this stop was part of like, dinner and Powells Books chill time too. Pizzacato is fucking excellent if you want pizza in downtown Portland, btw.

Didn't find a whole lot at Pearl Fiber arts that interested me, which is why I ended up getting a pin for momma, though they had a lovely example of the Papillon shawl on display...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now begins the marathon crawl that is Saturday, 3/7/20:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Three: Blizzard Yarn and Fiber
Loot: Malabrigo Arroyo in Brujula

Comments: First of all? Thank you for opening at 9am on Saturday. All my pagan blessings upon you. Second of all, this store started the pattern of me finding one particular skein of yarn that I fell in love with, and no match for it. This was annoying, but man my loot was pretty. I have a fondness for anything that reminds me of koi or ponds, and this one certainly hit that right on the head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Four: Close Knit
Loot: Nerdbird Makery enamel yarn sushi pin in coral

Comments: So okay I hate this store. It's full of lovely things, but it is MISERABLE to get to, MISERABLE to park at, and it is ALWAYS, ALWAYS CRAMMED. Like, cannot breathe, panic attack inducing crammed. This is the store I am least likely to buy stuff at EVERY YEAR because I just want OOOOUT. It's why it was number 2 on Saturday: I hoped I could get in and out right when they opened. And I did, but it still went from empty to packed in what felt like an instant. Ugh, Close Knit whyyyyy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Five: Twisted
Loot: 2 Skeins Malabrigo Worsted in Sunny City

Comments: Twisted is another one that is a pain to park at, but I actually like this store. We managed to get a decent spot around the block from it, but once I got inside I was...sorta not feeling anything. Until I got real low and spotted this pair of skeins. They aren't my normal color choices, but something about them... I wanted them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Six: Northwest Wools
Loot: 4oz Dicentra Designs 75% BFL/25% Tussah Silk in colorway Really, Really Rich

Comments: Another one where I hate the parking, unless I get SUPER lucky, but I am super fond of this store. I almost always use Northwest Wools to feed my fiber addiction, because they almost always have some Dicentra Designs fiber in their hallway, and unf, the COLORS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Seven: For Yarn's Sake
Loot: Malabrigo Sock in colorway Indonesa

Comments: I was tired and thirsty by the time we got there, so I wandered around for a bit, but mostly just went and fondled Malabrigo (as I do) until I found one that I liked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRANK BREAK: OH SWEET UWAJIMAYA, HOW I LOVE THEE
(YUMYUMYUM)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Eight: Knitting Bee
Loot: Malabrigo Worsted in Whale's Road, and Malabrigo Worsted in Black

Comments: Knitting Bee is actually the shop that Kitty won the store basket at a few years ago, so I'm actually a little sentimental about this one! They usually have a good price on my Malabrigo too, so like, that's a thing. And this was another shop where I found a single skein and immediately fell in love - it's SUCH a lovely skein of Whale's Road, very different to some others I've touched (AND I HAVE TOUCHED A LOT OF MALABRIGO, BELIEVE YOU ME), and I was like, it's mine. But it's not much, so I got some black to pair to it as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Nine: Knotty Lamb
Loot: 4 oz of Malabrigo nube roving in Persia

Comments: This is such a cute store, but it's SUCH a long ass drive out to Forest Grove. Sorry for the crappy image, I just couldn't get it to take. The only other downside? Their bathroom was def not working by the time I got there. Yikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LUNCH BREAK: SONICS TIME, BITCHES
(this is how I lured the roommate out on this adventure)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Store Ten: Starlight Knitting Society
Loot: Skein of Lamb's Pride Worsted in Navy (nalbinding, yeah!) and a Shelli Can  "Maker" enamel pin

Comments: Ahh, last stop. 90% of my time in this store was doing the line ride - I just got in line and picked out what I wanted to buy as it wove through the store - was probably in there for at least 30 minutes. I think there was something going on with their card readers - full manual entry only. But I got done, and I got my fully filled passport turned in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all, a good crawl. I didn't go crazy, and I didn't see much that made my heart go pitter patter to the point where I HAD to have it, but I did manage to get something from every store. Gonna be turning in store codes for a few days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradise Fiber Club Box - June: Enchanted Forest

Magic, and the Orders of the Exodus Covenant

The Largesse Box: Part One